Monday, April 16

Dancing For the Lord

Last night our family attended Faith Quest Redux – a reunion for people who love and support the Labor Day gathering of Northwest teens. Never to disappoint, the worship team set the stage for the audience to be lifted into a state of holy worship.

It is not always easy as a parent to join in with the corporate worship experience (okay – it is always hard); but rather than lose heart and hide out for the next decade or so, Allan and I continue to expose ourselves and our children to environments that foster group worship. It is a challenging balance to do so without deterring others from their own chance to focus on praise, especially I imagine, in our church heritage, which tends to worship with a more reverent than enthusiastic style.

At Redux last night there came a time when the kids and I were behind the partition in the back of the room and began to do what comes most naturally to children when music is joyful and high volume – we danced. We spun, we waltzed, we leapt as we sang to the Lord. It was a sacrifice of praise that brought smiles to our faces, and, more importantly, I imagine to the Lord’s as well.

A good friend of mine comes from one of those more expressive church families. Where Church of Christ sings with amazing voice, her heritage uses a lot of body movement to pray and praise. I would love us to find comfort with both. I love the gift of singing that has been fostered in our church heritage; it would be a tremendous blessing for me if we were able to begin working the other muscles in these creative bodies we have been given for the glory of the Father.

And David danced before the Lord with all his might, wearing a priestly garment. So David and all the people of Israel brought up the Ark of the Lord with shouts of joy and the blowing of rams’ horns.
2 Samuel 6: 14-15

6 comments:

Glenn said...

I understand what you are saying, and wish sometimes that we had more enthusiasm, in worship and in other Christian activities.

I can't resist folowing up on your David reference, however. Don't forget that his wife Michal hated him because of his dance. (evedently, in his excitement he forgot to wear anything except the ephod. woops) They had words over it and as a result he stayed away from her as a husband. I guess you don't criticize the King!

Kristi said...

Exactly - David had to dance before the Lord out of his overwhelming joy! Nothing - even a grumpy wife who didn't get it - could stop him from total praise of Yaweh: "I will celebrate before the LORD. I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes."

Johnathan M. Thomas said...

It was a joy to see... thank you for letting me dance with them for a bit.

peace.

KMiV said...

I like the David reference. In fact it makes me wonder how many churches, like David's wife, will never bear fruit and have children because they despise those who dance before the Lord.

Or because they will stand back, watch, and pick apart others' devotion to God.

Like Jesus' parable about the children, "we played the flute and you did not dance, we sang a sad song and you did not cry." Spectators will never bring fruit for God.

Adam Wolfgang said...

I had "happy feet"

Steve Maxwell said...

I so wish I could've been there! I am looking forward to Pepperdine to see at least a version of what I imagine that team to have been. And Lord knows, I miss the praise at PUMP. Dance one, dance all before the Lord for He is Worthy to be praised!